Sunday, October 11, 2009

How Ads Mimic Your Address - Bet I Know where you're from!

Hi!   Thanks for visiting!

What do you do for fun around , ?

***

Here's the html & java trick:

I became right click curious when I saw this "blog" about tooth whitening. Now , this may be a very good product, but I can't stand lies. By  right clicking and choosing show source, I found this interesting little javascript:

<p align="left"> <em>            My name is Rachel Bell. I live in                     <script language="JavaScript" src="http://j.maxmind.com/app/geoip.js"></script><script language="JavaScript">document.write(geoip_city());</script>, <script language="JavaScript">document.write(geoip_region());</script> and I want to tell you about

How I this works is your IP address is detected by the ad program, which then makes "Rachel" appear to be from a city close to your location. Here's my suggestion for putting this liar script to better use:

Why not change the text in red to:

Hi!  Thanks for visiting. What do you do for fun around  ... ?

Right click browsing in , or am I?

No comments: